|The American College of Surgeons and The Society of Thoracic Surgeons offer an annual scholarship to subsidize attendance and participation in the Executive Leadership Program in Health Policy and Management at Brandeis University. The 2014 program is taking place from June 8-14, 2014. The award is in the amount of $8,000, to be used toward the cost of tuition, travel, housing, and subsistence during the period of the course.|
General policies covering the granting of the scholarship are:
The award is open to surgeons who are members in good standing of both the American College of Surgeons (ACS) and The Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS). Applicants must be at least 30 years old, but under 55, on the date that the completed application is filed.
Dr. Paul D. Robison - 2013 STS/ACS Health Policy Scholar
- The award is to be used to support the recipient during the period of the scholarship. Indirect costs are not paid to the recipient or to the recipient's institution. Applications for this scholarship consist of the following items, submitted as a single PDF file:
- One copy of the applicant's current curriculum vitae;
- One copy of a one-page essay, discussing why the applicant wishes to receive the scholarship.
- Application for this award may be submitted even if comparable application to other organizations has been made. If the recipient accepts a similar scholarship from another agency or organization, the scholarship will be withdrawn. It is the responsibility of the recipient to notify the Scholarships Section of ACS, which administers this award, of competing awards.
- The scholarship must be used in the year for which it is designated. It cannot be postponed.
- The Scholar is required to provide one year’s health policy-related assistance to the ACS and the STS, attending meetings, reviewing applications, participating as a pro tem member of the health policy committee, etc., as requested by either organization.
- A brief report of the Scholar's experiences and activities is due at the conclusion of the course and of the scholarship period. A simple accounting is also required.
Questions may be directed to the ACS Scholarships Administrator at (312) 202-5281.
Applications should be e-mailed as a PDF to kearly [at] facs [dot] org.