Course 11: Robotic Simulation
Course Directors: Robert J. Cerfolio, Birmingham, AL, and Richard S. Lazzaro, New York, NY
COMMERCIAL RELATIONSHIPS R. J. Cerfolio: Research Grant, Pfizer Inc., Precision/Chemo Fx; Other, Intuitive Surgical, Inc., Faculty, Proctor, Speaker; R. S. Lazzaro: Other, Intuitive Surgical, Inc., Proctor
This hands-on course has been added to STS University to provide in-depth training in the area of robotics. Participants will learn robotic techniques using simulation and animal models. This course will focus on programmatic training for the robotic surgeon team using robots available in practice today. It will also stress the importance of teamwork with the bedside assistant and anesthesiologist.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Operate the robot, including the fourth arm
- Demonstrate teamwork with the bedside assistant
- Perform correct port placement
- Practice the distancing between the robotic ports and how to dock and drive the robot
- Drive the camera and set up the operation by themselves with extensive use of the third arm
Please watch the video below containing background information and lecture materials associated with this course.
Please note: No CME credit is associated with the viewing of web-based content. This presentation was created for The Society of Thoracic Surgeons STS University courses, and STS retains sole rights to these materials.