STS National Database: International Participation Now Available
The Society of Thoracic Surgeons is pleased to welcome international participants to the STS National Database and its three components—Adult Cardiac Surgery, Congenital Heart Surgery, and General Thoracic Surgery Databases.
Participation benefits include:
- The ability to license STS CERTIFIED SOFTWARE™ and/or STS HARVEST COMPLIANT SOFTWARE™  products from commercial vendors;
- Use of STS data specifications;
- Participation in data submissions for analysis;
- Participant data analyzed and risk-adjusted based on U.S. and Canadian risk models;
- Feedback reports with aggregate benchmark data based on U.S. and Canadian participants; and
- Online resources for educating data managers.
Requirements for international participation in the STS National Database:
- International participants must use STS CERTIFIED SOFTWARE™ and/or STS HARVEST COMPLIANT SOFTWARE™  for data collection and submission;*
- All clinical source documents and data abstraction files must be submitted in English;
- Participants are encouraged to appoint a primary data manager to ensure high quality compliance; and
- Participants are required to submit accurate and complete data (consecutive cases) for each relevant harvest period.
For information on international STS National Database participation, please contact:
Manager, STS National Database
The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
633 North Saint Clair Street, 23rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60611
STS Main Number: (312) 202-5800
Direct: (312) 202-5828
Fax: (312) 202-5867
sbecker [at] sts [dot] org
*See www.sts.org/sts-national-database/database-participants/database-software-and-vendors  for more information.
Read a first-hand account about international database participation from Oz M. Shapira, MD and colleagues from Hadassah Medical Center in Jerusalem in the April 2014 issue of The Annals of Thoracic Surgery .