2022 STS Trainee Retreat
The STS Trainee Retreat is a unique virtual event that addressed important issues facing cardiothoracic surgery trainees and offer practical early career information. Attendees heard from leaders in the specialty and were paired with experienced surgeon leaders in virtual breakout rooms. The event was open to all surgical residents, including those who have not yet decided to pursue cardiothoracic surgery.
An expert faculty presented sessions on:
Your Most Important Career Decision Is Your First Job: Choose Wisely
- When, How, and What Job to Look For?
- Negotiating a Contract–What You Need to Know
- Setting Yourself Up for Success in the First 3 Years of Practice/How to Be the Ideal Partner
Achieving Professional and Personal Success and Fulfillment
- Working Smart and Investing Wisely for the Future
- Taking Care of Oneself and Family–The Importance of Personal Wellness
- Social Media: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Attendees will join faculty in parallel breakout sessions for learning and discussion on:
- How important is additional fellowship training after residency?
- What is the role of dedicated research time during residency training?
- Comparing and contrasting different training approaches at your institutions.
More Than Heart and Lung Surgery
- What is the field of cardiothoracic surgery doing to address gaps in diversity?
- Are there any gaps in your training outside of clinical care that need to be addressed?
- What is the role of training programs in teaching interventional and catheter-based skills (and to what level of expertise)?
CT Surgery in the Real World 2022-2024
- What is the current state of the job market?
- Where should we as cardiothoracic surgeons invest most of our efforts?
- What role should cardiothoracic surgeons and professional societies like STS play in public health crises?
All views and opinions expressed therein are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the Society.