A favorite game is back, but with a new name!
Cardiothoracic surgery residents are invited to prove their knowledge and represent their institutions in the 2022 CT Surgery Resident Showdown, a Jeopardy-style competition of cognitive skills. Two-person teams of residents will face off against one another in a test of knowledge in five cardiothoracic surgery categories: cardiac, congenital, thoracic, history of the specialty, and decision making. A North American champion will face off against the winning European team during the final showdown at the 2023 STS Annual Meeting.
The Final Showdown will take place on Sunday, January 22, 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. PT, during the STS 59th Annual Meeting. All registrants are invited to attend and cheer on the finalists. Meet the teams who will represent their institutions and compete for the title at the European and North American semifinals:
- Henri Haapanen and Tommi Järvinen, Helsinki University Hospital
- Konstantinos Papakonstantinou and Filippos-Paschalis Rorris, Evangelismos General Hospital
- Alissa Florian and Polina Mantaj, Medical University of Graz
- Sam Heuts and Jules Olsthoorn, Maastricht University Medical Center+
- Carolina Mayor Deniz and Consuela María Sisinni Ganly, Álvaro Cunqueiro University Hospital
- Nebil Ajmi and Abdulrahman Aljuayli, Toulouse University Hospital
- Warren Naselsky and Aakash Shah, University of Maryland
- Kyle Mitchell and David Nelson, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center/University of Texas Medical School at Houston
- Michael Pienta and Bree Young, University of Michigan Health System
- Jennifer Perri and Ramon Riojas, University of California San Francisco
- Bryant Fisher and Laura Seese, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Ahmed Ali and Hoang-Vu Tran, Texas Heart Institute/Baylor College of Medicine
Registration and Qualifications
Who Is Eligible to Participate?
The North American competition is for two-person teams of residents enrolled in an ACGME and/or a Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada-approved thoracic surgery residency program. The European competition is for two-person teams enrolled in a cardiac, thoracic, or cardiothoracic trainee program, who will not complete formal training until February 2023 at the earliest (a formal letter of status signed by the program director will be required upon registration for the qualifying exam).
Congenital and ICU residents/fellows, as well as past Jeopardy finalists, are not eligible to participate.
To facilitate the administration of the qualifying exam, each team member must create an account in the STS Web Portal using the same email address as on the registration.
For the exam, individuals will be given one attempt at answering 60 questions in 20 minutes. Individual scores will be combined for each team, and the top six North American teams will be invited to the live competition at the STSA Annual Meeting being held in November 2022 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The top six European teams will be invited to compete at the EACTS Annual Meeting in October. The winning European and North American teams will compete for the championship title during the STS Annual Meeting in January 2023.
- Team Sign-ups: June 1–June 30, 2022
- Screening Exam: July 15–29, 2022
- European Qualifying Tournament: October 5–8, 2022 (EACTS Annual Meeting, Milan, Italy)
- North American Qualifying Tournament: November 9–12, 2022 (STSA Annual Meeting, Fort Lauderdale, Florida)
- Final Showdown: January 21-23, 2023 (STS Annual Meeting, San Diego, California)
STS will pay for:
- Travel, hotel, and meals (for 2 days) for the top six North American teams to attend the STSA Annual Meeting.
- Travel, hotel, and meals (for 2 days) for the North American and European winners to attend the championship competition in San Diego, California, in January 2023.
- All semi-final competition participants will receive STS-branded merchandise.
- Winners of the semi-finals held at STSA and EACTS will receive a winning CT Masters Showdown prize.
- Final Showdown runner-up team members will each receive $100.
- Winners of the Final Showdown will be the 2022 CT Surgery Masters Champions and each receive $500.