Active Membership is for those surgeons certified in the United States and Canada in the field of cardiothoracic surgery. An applicant for Active Membership must be certified by the American Board of Thoracic Surgery in cardiothoracic surgery, the American Osteopathic Board of Surgery in thoracic and cardiovascular surgery, or the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada or its equivalency.
Active applicants are approved for membership several times per year by the STS Executive Committee.
What You Need to Complete Your Application
You’ll need to complete your application in one sitting, so have the following ready before you start your application:
- License and certification information (type, number, and year)
- Current CV in English
- Name and email address of an STS member to verify via email your appropriateness for membership*
- Credit or debit card to process application fees and payments; payment will be processed upon submission
*If you do not know an STS member, contact STS Member Services for assistance before you submit your application.
Dues and Fees
Annual membership dues are based on where the member lives:
- Active Members living in the United States – $750
- Active Members living in Canada – $650
- Active Members living outside the United States and Canada* – $300
*Active Members living in low or lower middle income countries, per the World Bank – $100
Payment will be processed upon submission. There is a one-time initiation fee of $250. This initiation fee is waived for STS Candidate Members who become Active Members within 2 years of certification.