International Membership is for surgeons who have achieved appropriate certification or recognition of their achievements in cardiothoracic surgery in countries other than the United States or Canada and who devote their professional efforts to the interests of the specialty.
International applicants are approved for membership several times per year by the STS Executive Committee.
What You Need to Complete Your Application
You’ll need to complete your application in one sitting, so have the following ready before you start your application:
- License and Certification Information (type, number, and year)
- Updated CV in English
- Name and email address of an STS member to verify via email your appropriateness for membership*
- Credit or debit card to process application fees and payments; payment will be processed upon submission
*If you do not know an STS member, contact STS Member Services for assistance before you submit your application.
Are you a member of the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS)?
Applicants who became EACTS members prior to 2009 and wish to join STS as International Members do not need to submit sponsorship information. Only a completed STS membership application, CV, and payment are required. Contact STS Member Services for assistance before you submit your application.
Dues and Fees
Annual membership dues are based on where the member lives:
- International Members living outside the United States and Canada – $300
- International Members living in the United States/Canada – $750/$650
- International Members in low or lower middle income countries, per the World Bank – $100
There is a one-time initiation fee of $250. The initiation fee is waived for EACTS and ESTS members, members of ASCVTS in low or lower middle income countries defined by the World Bank, and STS Candidate Members who become International Members.
STS membership dues paid at the time of application are for the current calendar year. The STS membership year runs from January—December with dues renewable by December 31 every year.