Pre-Candidate Membership is for medical students or general surgery residents/trainees anywhere in the world. Applications for Pre-Candidate Membership are reviewed and approved year-round.
To be eligible for Pre-Candidate Membership, applicants must:
- Be a medical student or general surgery resident enrolled in an appropriately accredited or otherwise recognized medical school; or
- Be enrolled in a general surgery education program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, American Osteopathic Board of Surgery, or Royal College of Surgeons of Canada or its equivalency; or
- If living outside the United States and Canada, be enrolled in an accredited or otherwise recognized medical school or general surgery educational program.
What You Need to Complete Your Application
You’ll need to complete your application in one sitting, so have the following ready before you start your application:
- License and Certification Information (type, number, and year)
- Current CV in English
- Name and email address of your program director, program faculty, or STS member to verify via email your appropriateness for membership
- Credit or debit card to process application fees and payments; payment will be processed upon submission
Pre-Candidate Members are expected to upgrade to Candidate Membership within 1 year of starting a cardiothoracic surgery residency.
Annual dues are only $25 for Pre-Candidate Membership.
STS membership dues paid at the time of application are for the current calendar year. The STS membership year runs from January—December with dues renewable by December 31 every year.
Resources for Students and Residents
See some of the many resources that STS offers for trainees in the Student & Resident Resources section of the website.