Membership in STS is an investment in yourself!
Resident/Fellow Membership is for cardiothoracic surgery residents, trainees, fellows, or general surgery residents anywhere in the world. Resident/Fellow members receive discounts, career resources, mentorship, educational offerings, and leadership opportunities.
Applications for Resident/Fellow Membership are reviewed and approved year-round. To be eligible for Resident/Fellow Membership, an applicant must:
- Be matched or enrolled in a thoracic surgery education program accredited by the Residency Review Committee for Thoracic Surgery under the authority of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, a program approved for thoracic surgery education by the American Osteopathic Board of Surgery, or a program approved for thoracic surgery education by the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada or its equivalency; or
- Have completed their education in one of the above programs and are in the process of acquiring certification in thoracic surgery by the American Board of Thoracic Surgery, American Osteopathic Board of Surgery in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, or Royal College of Surgeons of Canada or its equivalency; or
- If living outside the United States and Canada, be enrolled in an accredited or otherwise recognized thoracic surgery education program, or have completed his/her education and is in the process of acquiring certification in thoracic surgery or its equivalent; or
- Be matched or enrolled in a general surgery education program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, American Osteopathic Board of Surgery, or Royal College of Surgeons of Canada or its equivalency; or
- If living outside the United States and Canada, be enrolled in an accredited or otherwise recognized general surgery educational program.
What You Need to Complete Your Application
You’ll need to complete your application in one sitting, so have the following ready before you start your application:
- License and Certification Information (type, number, and year)
- Current CV in English
- Name and email address of your program director to verify via email your appropriateness for membership
- Credit or debit card to process application fees and payments; payment will be processed upon submission
Resident/Fellow Members are expected to update STS on their education timeline throughout their training. Resident/Fellow Members are required to upgrade to Active or International Membership within 2 years of their cardiothoracic board certification.
Annual dues are only $100 for Resident/Fellow Membership.
STS membership dues paid at the time of application are for the current calendar year. The STS membership year runs from January-December with dues renewable by December 31 every year.
Subscription to The Annals
Resident/Fellow Members receive a digital subscription to The Annals of Thoracic Surgery as a benefit of membership.
Resources for Students and Residents
See some of the many resources that STS offers for trainees in the Student & Resident Resources section of the website.