Become an STS member and join the most inclusive and influential cardiothoracic surgery society in the world. Membership in the Society is an investment in yourself, your career, and the specialty!
Surgeon Membership is for those surgeons certified by the American Board of Thoracic Surgery in thoracic surgery, the American Osteopathic Board of Surgery in thoracic and cardiovascular surgery, or the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada or its equivalency, or who have achieved appropriate certification or recognition of their achievements in thoracic surgery in countries other than the United States or Canada.
Surgeons awaiting certification are not yet eligible for Surgeon Membership. As you await certification, you are welcome to apply for Resident/Fellow Membership or continue your current Resident/Fellow Membership until you are fully certified.
Surgeon applicants are approved for membership several times per year by the STS Executive Committee.
What You Need to Complete Your Application
You’ll need to complete your application in one sitting, so have the following ready before you start your application:
- License and certification information (type, number, and year)
- Current CV in English
- Name and email address of an STS member to verify via email your appropriateness for membership*
- Credit or debit card to process application fees and payments; payment will be processed upon submission
*If you do not know an STS member, contact STS Member Services for assistance before you submit your application.
Dues and Fees
Annual membership dues are based on where the member lives:
- Surgeon Members living in the United States – $750
- Surgeon Members living in Canada – $650
- Surgeon Members living outside the United States and Canada – $300
- Surgeon Members living in low or lower middle income countries, per the World Bank – $100
There is a one-time initiation fee of $250. This initiation fee is waived for STS Resident/Fellow Members who become Surgeon Members within 2 years of certification, EACTS and ESTS members, and members of ASCVTS in low or lower middle income countries defined by the World Bank.
STS membership dues paid at the time of application are for the current calendar year. The STS membership year runs from January–December with dues renewable by December 31 every year. Per the STS Dues Policy, the STS Board may change the dues amounts at their discretion.
Subscription to The Annals
- All Surgeon members receive a digital subscription to The Annals of Thoracic Surgery.
- Surgeon members living in the US, Canada, Mexico, Guam, US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands also receive print issues.
- Surgeon members in all other countries are eligible to purchase print issues for an additional $40 per calendar year.