AQO Abstracts Due August 7; Registration Is Open
Submit your abstracts now for Advances in Quality & Outcomes (AQO): A Data Managers Meeting. The deadline is Friday, August 7. This conference, which will be held virtually September 29–October 2, is the perfect forum to share valuable research and best practices with hundreds of peers. Registration is open and a preliminary agenda has been posted on the STS website. The Society also is collecting questions and case scenarios for experts to discuss during the AQO Meeting. Submit your questions or case scenarios through the STS Clinical Question Request Form by Friday, September 4.
- Tuesday, September 29 – Intermacs/Pedimacs
- Wednesday, September 30 – General Thoracic
- Thursday, October 1 – Adult Cardiac
- Friday, October 2 – Congenital
Ask Your Surgeons to Use New Worksheets
Data collection worksheets are now available for the recently upgraded (version 4.20.2) Adult Cardiac Surgery Database (ACSD). The documents take only a few minutes to fill out and help ensure that important details are captured accurately and completely. Please share these worksheets with your surgeons participating in the ACSD. Worksheets are available in both PDF and Word formats for:
- Multiple Aorta/Open Dissection
- Aortic Valve
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Intraoperative TEE
- Mitral Valve
- Tricuspid/Pulmonic Valve
In addition to the worksheets, you can access the training manual, FAQs, and Data Collection Forms on the ACSD Data Collection webpage by clicking on the “Version 4.20” arrow.
Direct Data Entry Now Available
A direct data entry (DDE) option launched on July 1 for the ACSD and General Thoracic Surgery Database, which means you no longer need to use third-party vendor software to submit data unless you want to do so. DDE is offered at no additional cost, and participants should enter data directly into the IQVIA platform. For more information, contact the STS National Database team at STSDB@sts.org.
Quick Hits: Harvests 2 and 3, Consent Forms
- Data submission for Harvests 2 and 3 closes on Friday, August 21. Please ensure that all data with OR dates through the June 30, 2020 reporting period are entered by this date. Check the 2020 Harvest Schedule for additional details.
- Consent forms for the 2020 Merit-Based Incentive Payment System performance period will be available on the IQVIA platform in early August. The Society is hosting a webinar to provide an overview of the consent process on Thursday, August 6 at 2:00 p.m. CT. View the STS National Database Webinars page for the complete webinar schedule.
Aortic Valve Disease Information and Blog Posts Available for Patients
The STS patient website, ctsurgerypatients.org, offers immediate and easy access to expert, multimedia content on cardiothoracic diseases and operations. The Aortic Valve Disease page includes detailed information on causes and symptoms, diagnosis and treatment options, as well as what to expect during recovery. In addition, two important, timely blog articles are available:
- “What Heart Patients Should Know About COVID-19” by Jennifer J. Wan, MD
- “How Will COVID-19 Impact My Upcoming Surgery?” by Robbin G. Cohen, MD, MMM, and Elizabeth A. David, MD, MAS
If you interact with patients at your institution, make sure to share this important resource—handouts are available for download in both English and Spanish. Contact Jennifer Bagley at firstname.lastname@example.org with feedback or questions about the patient website.