Register for AQO by September 7 and Save
The 2020 Advances in Quality & Outcomes (AQO) Meeting will be held virtually September 29–October 2. Register before Monday, September 7 to save 50% with early bird rates. AQO will feature all four components of the STS National Database with interactive live sessions, recorded programs you can watch at your convenience, e-posters highlighting the latest research, social events, and an exhibit hall. View the agenda; if you need a personalized justification letter to attend the meeting, fill out this form.
- Tuesday, September 29 – Intermacs/Pedimacs
- Wednesday, September 30 – General Thoracic
- Thursday, October 1 – Adult Cardiac
- Friday, October 2 – Congenital
Data Collection Updates
- The latest training manual (v3.41)—published on the CHSD Data Collection page—was revised in August and contains important information to help with data abstraction. Updates are posted at the beginning of each month.
- The Appendix C: STAT Categories were updated in July and include 15 additional procedures as part of the upgrade to version 3.41.
Launch of Webinar Series for New Data Managers
STS is launching a webinar series for new data managers abstracting for the CHSD. Various topics will be covered during the quarterly webinars, including software and data specifications, data abstraction requirements and harvest schedules, and relevant web resources. The first session, to be held on Thursday, August 27 at 11:00 a.m. CT, will be a “Back to Basics” webinar. While the intended audience is new data managers, these webinars could serve as helpful refreshers for seasoned users as well. View the STS National Database Webinars page for the complete webinar schedule.
Quick Hits: Data Submission Deadline, User Group Calls Rescheduled
- Data submission for the combined Spring and Fall harvests will close on Friday, October 16. Please ensure that all data with procedure dates through the June 30, 2020, reporting period are entered by this date. The deadline to opt out is Tuesday, October 20. Check the 2020 Harvest Schedule for additional details.
- User Group Calls now will be hosted biweekly on Tuesdays at 12:00 p.m. CT. View the STS National Database Webinars page for the complete schedule.
New Reports Available Soon
To assist STS National Database Participants with data clean-up efforts, two new reports will be available prior to the harvest close date on the IQVIA platform. Participants will receive an email once the reports are ready. The Mortality Summary Eligibility Report will provide a summary of records eligible for the Inclusion in Mortality Analysis. The Primary Procedure Mismatch Report will display the operation records where the primary procedure assigned by the participant does not match the primary procedure assigned by IQVIA.
STS Public Reporting Online Initiatives
The next CHSD data refresh has been postponed to 2021 and will use the results from the combined 2020 Spring and Fall harvests. The Society will use this time to review and enhance the public reporting website and provide overall formatting updates, including public reporting modifications as announced in November 2019 by STS leadership.
Check Out Timely Blog Posts for Patients
The STS patient website, ctsurgerypatients.org, offers immediate and easy access to expert, multimedia content on cardiothoracic diseases and operations. The website also features blog posts from surgeons and others on topics of special interest such as congenital heart disease, smoking, and COVID-19. Some of the latest articles include:
- “How Is COVID-19 Affecting Congenital Heart Disease Patients?” by Raina Sinha, MD, MPH
- “From Hospital to Home: Patient Communication During COVID-19” by Elizabeth H. Stephens, MD, PhD
If you interact with patients at your institution, make sure to share this important resource—handouts are available for download in both English and Spanish. Contact Jennifer Bagley at email@example.com with feedback or questions about the patient website.