"The Resilient Surgeon" is a new podcast series designed to inspire cardiothoracic surgeons to be their best selves, in and out of the OR, using scientifically proven tools and recovery strategies of the world's top performers.
In each episode, host Michael Maddaus, MD, will talk to game changers in the high-performance and wellness space who can share real-world strategies for building and maintaining resiliency. They will describe evidence-based practices and approaches derived from personal experiences to help reduce burnout and achieve optimal performance.
The episodes will be released biweekly beginning on July 9. Guests include:
- Monique Valcour, PhD, executive coach, shares advice and strategies on integrating work and life and thriving in a high-demand world.
- Daniel Z. Lieberman, MD, author of The Molecule of More, provides a master class in dopamine and explains why happiness comes only in the here and now.
- Suniya S. Luthar, PhD, cofounder and chief research officer at Authentic Connections, provides tips on managing stress and anxiety, especially for mothers and women in medicine.
- Chris Germer, PhD, clinical psychologist, offers insights on mindfulness and self-compassion.
- Christopher M. Barnes, PhD, who worked in the Fatigue Countermeasures branch of the Air Force Research Laboratory, explains why sleep deprivation takes a toll on our ability to be charismatic leaders and creative entrepreneurs.
- Robert H. Lustig, MD, MSL, pediatric endocrinologist, details metabolic health and nutrition, exposing some of the leading myths that underlie diet-related disease.
- Dorie Clark—described by The New York Times as an “expert at self-reinvention and helping others make changes in their lives”—tackles topics such as personal branding, professional reinvention, leadership, networking, and social media.
Additional guests will include Wendy Wood, PhD, MS, Brian Ferguson, Wayne M. Sotile, PhD, Judson A. Brewer, MD, PhD, Sara B. Algoe, PhD, and Michael Maddaus, himself. Subscribe to Surgical Hot Topics via your favorite podcast app, or find the episodes at https://sts.org/podcast. New episodes will be added regularly and social media postings about the series will include the hashtag #BeYourBestSelf.