The COVID pandemic has not only had a devastating humanitarian impact, but it also has shocked health care system finances. In this webinar, STS President Joseph A. Dearani, MD, spoke with cardiothoracic surgeons, a hospital executive, and a health care consultant about:
- The overall financial impact on health care systems, including the immediate consequences, expectations for the next 18 months, and balancing cuts versus preparedness for future COVID surges
- Different experiences and realities for private practices, hospitals, and academic medical centers
- Changes for staff, including hiring, layoffs/furloughs, compensation, and budgets for CME, travel, training, and education
- The long-term economic consequences on the cardiothoracic surgery specialty, including how the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services is still moving forward with planned Medicare payment cuts
- Possible silver linings and lasting positive impacts
The episode is also available as a podcast.
Joseph A. Dearani, MD
Vinay Badhwar, MD
West Virginia University Heart and Vascular Institute
Richard K. Freeman, MD, MBA
Robert S. Jasak, JD
Hart Health Strategies Inc.
Roberta Schwartz, PhD
Houston Methodist Hospital