The Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) is a program under the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and is designed to promote reporting of quality information by eligible professionals.
The following are the performance thresholds and category weights for the 2021 performance period
- The performance threshold is 60 points
- The additional performance threshold for exceptional performance is 85 points
- The Quality performance category is weighted at 40%
- The Cost performance category is weighted at 20%
- The Promoting Interoperability performance category is weighted at 25%
- The Improvement Activities performance category is weighted at 15%
The MIPS program is designed to be budget neutral. The amount provided for positive payment adjustments is determined by the amount provided for negative payment adjustments. The maximum payment adjustment for the 2023 payment year (2021 performance period) is +/- 9%.
The STS National Database is designated a Qualified Clinical Data Registry, however will not submit data for the 2021 performance year.
Options for quality reporting are available online.
For additional information, please contact Donna McDonald.