The Society encourages international institutions to participate in the STS National Database, comprising the Adult Cardiac Surgery Database, the Congenital Heart Surgery Database, and the General Thoracic Surgery Database. More than 5,700 physicians make up participants in 11 countries, including Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Israel, Italy, Singapore, Turkey, the United States, and the United Arab Emirates.
Participation benefits include:
- The ability to license STS CERTIFIED SOFTWARE™ and/or STS HARVEST COMPLIANT SOFTWARE™ products from commercial vendors;
- Use of STS data specifications;
- Participation in data submissions for analysis;
- Participant data analyzed and risk-adjusted based on U.S. and Canadian risk models;
- Feedback reports with aggregate benchmark data based on U.S. and Canadian participants; and
- Online resources for educating data managers.
Requirements for international participation in the STS National Database:
- International participants must use STS CERTIFIED SOFTWARE™ and/or STS HARVEST COMPLIANT SOFTWARE™ for data collection and submission.
- All clinical source documents and data abstraction files must be submitted in English.
- Participants are encouraged to appoint a primary data manager to ensure high-quality compliance.
- Participants are required to submit accurate and complete data (consecutive cases) for each relevant harvest period.
Read a first-hand account about international database participation from Oz M. Shapira, MD and colleagues from Hadassah Medical Center in Jerusalem in the April 2014 issue of The Annals of Thoracic Surgery.
To join the STS National Database, please contact Susan Becker, STS National Database Manager, via email or at 312-202-5828.