The primary goal of the scholarship is to provide mentorship for the best and brightest medical students or general surgery residents in hopes of encouraging them to pursue careers in cardiothoracic surgery.
Since 2006, LTTF scholarships have been awarded to 725 aspiring cardiothoracic surgeons.
STS is now accepting applications for the 2023 Looking to the Future Scholarship Program.
Benefits of the 2023 STS LTTF Scholarship include:
- Complimentary registration for STS 2023—the Society’s 59th Annual Meeting—being held January 21-23, in San Diego, CA
- A 3-night stay at an STS-designated hotel
- Participation in exclusive events
- Reimbursement of up to $500 in related travel expenses
The following are eligible to apply:
- Medical students training at an institution in the United States or Canada
- Clinical PGY1, PGY2, or PGY3 general surgery residents training at an institution in the United States or Canada
- General surgery residents on dedicated research time who have not started their PGY4 clinical year training at an institution in the United States or Canada
Priority will be given to applicants who have not attended a national cardiothoracic surgery meeting or received another CT surgery meeting scholarship (such as AATS Member for a Day Scholarship, STSA Brooks Scholarship, or WTS Scholarship). Please note previous LTTF Scholarship recipients are not eligible; however, previous applicants are encouraged to reapply, as long as they meet the eligibility criteria.
Interested candidates must apply online at https://sts.smapply.io. In addition to completing an online application, applicants will be required to upload a current CV, and a letter of recommendation signed by their Program Director or cardiothoracic surgery mentor. Medical students may upload a letter of recommendation from an active faculty member at their medical school.
The deadline to submit application materials is 11:59 pm CT, Monday, October 3, 2022. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Notifications will be sent to applicants in November 2022.
Email Rachel Pebworth.