Now Accepting Applications!
The STS Looking to the Future (LTTF) Scholarship Program is accepting applications for 2021. Medical students and general surgery residents who are considering careers in cardiothoracic surgery are encouraged to apply. Since 2006, LTTF scholarships have been awarded to 610 aspiring cardiothoracic surgeons to underwrite expenses for participation in the STS Annual Meeting.
Submission Deadline: Sunday, November 15, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. CT.
The primary goal of the scholarship is to provide mentorship for the best and brightest of these applicants in the hopes of encouraging them to pursue cardiothoracic surgery.
- Complimentary registration to attend STS 2021, the Society’s Annual Meeting, being held virtually January 29-31.
- One-on-one virtual mentoring with a cardiothoracic surgeon mentor/STS member who can share insights and provide guidance on how to carve a path in the field.
- Access to an exclusive LTTF virtual program planned for January 2021.
- Medical students training at an institution in the US or Canada
- Clinical PGY1, PGY2, or PGY3 general surgery residents training at an institution in the US or Canada
- General surgery residents on dedicated research time who have not started their PGY4 clinical year training at an institution in the US or Canada
Priority will be given to applicants who have not attended a national cardiothoracic surgery meeting or received another CT surgery meeting scholarship (such as recipients of an AATS Member for a Day Scholarship, an STSA Brooks Scholarship, or a WTS Scholarship to attend the STS Annual Meeting).
An applicant’s level of exposure to the cardiothoracic surgery field will be considered.
Previous LTTF scholarship recipients are not eligible; however, previous applicants are encouraged to re-apply.
How to apply
Visit sts.smapply.io. Candidates are required to:
- Complete an application
- Upload a current CV
- Upload an endorsement form signed by his or her program director or cardiothoracic surgery mentor. (Medical students may upload an endorsement form signed by an active faculty member at their medical school.) Access the endorsement form.
Only complete applications will be considered, and notifications will be sent to applicants in December 2020.
Email Rachel Pebworth, Affiliate Manager, Awards and Operations.