The Advocacy section of the STS website offers the latest and most important regulatory and legislative news and resources relevant to cardiothoracic surgery.
- Visit the Legislative Action Center to learn about issues affecting the specialty, and write or call your members of Congress to let them know what you think.
- Contribute to STS-PAC and see how your contributions are making a difference.
- Get involved. Sign up to be an STS Key Contact and help build relationships while advocating for the specialty. There are many types of advocacy opportunities available.
- Check out On the Record to view the STS Advocacy Priorities, Endorsed Legislation, and public statements pertaining to the regulatory issues that affect cardiothoracic surgeons.
- Read Advocacy Monthly—a newsletter providing a summary of STS activities that support cardiothoracic surgery initiatives in Washington, DC.
Medicare Reimbursement Cuts
In December 2020, Congress approved a year-end package that prevented the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services from implementing steep Medicare reimbursement cuts. This was a major victory for cardiothoracic surgeons and their patients, but the fight continues as surgeons are facing another round of devastating cuts.
The Society has been involved in continued comprehensive advocacy efforts to stop the reduction in Medicare reimbursement payments, including being an active member of the Surgical Care Coalition. For updates on the latest Coalition activities, visit surgicalcare.org or read the following newsletters:
Learn how these cuts could affect cardiothoracic surgeons and patients, as well as how STS members can help by contacting their legislators.
STS Advocacy Monthly is a monthly newsletter providing a summary of STS activities to support cardiothoracic surgery initiatives in Washington, DC.
The Society has compiled a MACRA Toolkit for cardiothoracic surgeons that includes detailed overviews of both MIPS and Advanced Alternative Payment Models, a checklist of steps to take, and additional CMS resources. Access the MACRA toolkit.
Physician Clinical Registry Coalition
STS is a member of the Physician Clinical Registry Coalition, which advocates for a legal and public policy environment that recognizes and supports the positive role that clinical data registries play in collecting, analyzing, and sharing clinical information, identifying trends and best practices, and improving clinical outcomes and quality patient care.