Ensuring robust patient access to lung cancer prevention, screenings, and treatment is a long-time STS priority. Over the past decade, significant progress has been made to expanded insurance coverage of lung cancer screening, yet challenges remain to increasing screening rates among at-risk individuals. Furthermore, while innovative treatments for lung cancer are rapidly emerging, not everyone has equal access to these cutting-edge treatments. To address these critical issues, STS is relentlessly advocating with policymakers in Washington to remove barriers and increase access so our members can offer the highest quality lung cancer care possible.
- Maintain and Enhance Preventative Coverage: Ensure continued coverage of lung cancer screening with no cost-sharing for patients, as recommended by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, and expand this coverage to all Medicaid beneficiaries.
- Support Innovative Treatments for Lung Cancer: Remove barriers for patient access to the best possible care, such as limited coverage of molecular testing.
- H.R. 4286: Increasing Access to Lung Cancer Screening Act
- H.R. 4534/ S.2245: Women and Lung Cancer Research and Preventative Services Act
- Lung Cancer Policy Brief
- STS Breathes New Life into Lung Cancer Advocacy (Sept. 1, 2023)
- Coalition Letter Supporting Smoking Ban in VA Facilities (March 6, 2023)
- Coalition Letter Supporting Proposed Rule Prohibiting Menthol Cigarettes (Feb. 21, 2023)