STS News, Spring 2020 — Several important Bylaws changes were approved and STS officers and directors were elected or reelected during the Annual Membership (Business) Meeting in New Orleans, Louisiana. The meeting was held in conjunction with the STS 56th Annual Meeting.
One Bylaws change was to the makeup of the Board of Directors. The Society’s membership voted to increase the number of directors-at-large on the Board from six to eight. This change will allow for greater diversity and a wider variety of perspectives on the Board, as well as provide more opportunities for promising leaders to obtain Board experience.
Leading the Board and the Society for 2020-2021 is Joseph A. Dearani, MD, from Rochester, Minnesota, who was elected STS President. Sean C. Grondin, MD, MPH, FRCSC, from Calgary, Canada, was elected First Vice President, and John H. Calhoon, MD, from San Antonio, Texas, was elected Second Vice President.
The following also were elected or reelected:
- Secretary: Joseph F. Sabik III, MD, Cleveland, Ohio
- Treasurer: Thomas E. MacGillivray, MD, Houston, Texas
- International Director: Domenico Pagano, MD, FRCS(C-Th), FETSC, Birmingham, United Kingdom
- Canadian Director: Marc Ruel, MD, MPH, Ottawa, Canada
- Public Director: Roger Newton, PhD, MS, Maple City, Michigan
- Directors-at-Large: Joseph C. Cleveland Jr., MD, Aurora, Colorado, Gregory P. Fontana, MD, Thousand Oaks, California, Jennifer C. Romano, MD, MS, Ann Arbor, Michigan, and James S. Tweddell, MD, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Editor: G. Alexander Patterson, MD, FRCS(C), St. Louis, Missouri
New Membership Approval Process
Also approved at the membership meeting was a Bylaws change to the admission process for Active and International Members. Previously, applicants for Active and International Membership were voted upon by the full Board three times per year at in-person meetings. Now, the Executive Committee will vote to admit new members throughout the year. This means that applicants can be approved and begin receiving member benefits sooner.
>Learn more about the Society’s governance structure at sts.org/governance.